Thursday, December 20, 2007

Squeaky movie better than I thought it would be

My son has wanted to see the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie since he first heard of it's existence. He's had every line of the movie trailer memorized for weeks.

He begged me to take him and his friend, and somehow I couldn't get my husband, who had originally been enthusiastic about the movie, to take him, so I ended up going.

I thought it would be horrible. Really stupid.

But it wasn't actually that bad.

I thought the plot started out very cute. The chipmunks were singing and stuffing nuts into a hollow spot in a tree trunk. Suddenly the tree was cut down -- it was a Christmas tree. It was netted up, loaded onto a truck, and taken to the big city. Some city with no snow.

The tree was put in the lobby of an office building and the chipmunks decide to make a run for it, and end up in the basket of the main character, Dave. Dave is down on his luck, having pitched a song he wrote to the recording company and been refused. In frustrated retaliation, he grabs a basket of goodies and jumps in the elevator. The chipmunks climb aboard and he unwittingly takes them home.

After they trash his place, he finds out they can talk and then kicks them out. But he lets them back in when he finds out they can sing. He writes them a song and tries to get the record producer to listen. Add to all of this a romantic relationship that he's also frustrated by, and we're off on a cute story of how a self-centered man opens his heart and his home and becomes Daddy to the 3 chipmunks.

It's all live action, with CG chipmunks that are very convincing. Not quite real looking but since they talk, you don't expect them to look exactly like chipmunks. They certainly don't allow you to be distracted by the special effects, you just forget that they aren't real.

The story wasn't nearly as stupid as I thought, it was funny but also heartwarming, and I managed to get out of the theater without a wad of gum stuck to any part of my clothing. All in all, a positive experience.

No comments: